THE LAB SCHOOL
As an educational community, we seek to provide a context of life and learning in which children are nurtured in their mental, physical, emotional and social growth.
THE LAB SCHOOL'S HISTORY
OVER 53 YEARS SERVING CHILDREN
In 1964, a small group of persons, including those affiliated with Eden Theological Seminary, established the Eden Lab School. From that time until June 2004, Eden Lab School was part of Eden Seminary. In May 2003, the Eden Seminary Board of Directors decided to close the Eden Laboratory School at the end of the 2003-2004 school year – its 40th year of operation. The Seminary Board believed that the operation of a preschool was not the core mission of a graduate theological seminary.
When the Lab School parents heard of this decision, they immediately organized a Task Force to ensure that The Lab School would continue as an independent, not-for-profit preschool with the same programs and staff. The Lab School was incorporated and received a 501c(3) status as a not-for-profit, independent school. In the fall of 2004, the school relocated to Kirkwood.
PRESCHOOL IN KIRKWOOD, MO
THE LAB SCHOOL'S VALUES & POLICIES
Our founders recognized the unique gifts and worth of children. It is the mission of The Lab School to provide developmentally appropriate nurturing, care and education of young children and their families. Our program also serves as a teacher training site to model best practice.
There are many great preschool options in Kirkwood, but The Lab School is unique in that every staff member has a four year college degree.
- We believe that the values of peace and justice should be nurtured in young children. The development of our Project Construct curriculum includes policies regarding discipline, conflict resolution, toys, and guns.
- We believe our curriculum provides self esteem, which guides children towards independence and self-discipline.
- We are committed to a partnership with parents.
The Lab School believes in community. Within that community, we value individual differences and each person’s worth, gifts, and needs. Therefore, we provide a preschool environment:
- In which all grow in their ability to express their ideas and feelings;
- In which all are given the freedom to become self-directed, self-reliant, and decision makers;
- In which all are given the opportunity to make positive contributions to the community;
- In which all are given the opportunity to grow and trust;
- In which all can be risk takers and mistake makers;
- In which all build social relationships through interactions and which supports exploration, understanding and responsibility.
We are a 100% peanut-free school.